What it's all about

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"natural" blonde.

i have been an unnatural blonde for many years now.
i envy my three year old self and her perfect baby blonde head. 
but i've been a box blonde since high school.

i am a fan of the box hair dye.  i have had my hair professionally dyed many times, and i don't like the way it turns out as much as i do when i used this specific box blonde on it.  it always worked really great and looked pretty natural.  i think it's because my hair is naturally pretty light, so it soaks up the box dye easily.  i used l'oreal paris excellence creme in 9A "lightest ash blonde".  ahh, it's like an old friend.

after i had finn though, i think something happened to my hair.  it became naturally darker.
it stopped responding as well to the box dye i had always used.
it was coming out orangey around my roots and it looked really WT.
(white trash).
(brassy roots=WT, fyi. omg. smh. ok i'll stop.)

so i decided to go back to my "natural" color.  which is a dark blonde/light brown.
mostly because it was getting to be a pain to try to maintain the super blonde since my hair had obviously changed.
so, ironically, i dyed my hair back to it's natural color.
thus, it is still unnatural.
but we're getting somewhere?
it's kind of natural?
i will probably keep dying just because it makes my hair shiny, but at least this color will be much easier to maintain.  this time i used l'oreal excellence creame in 7 1/2 A "medium ash blonde".

here i am last night after i dyed it, looking natural with my new "natural" hair color and with no makeup on.


i totally lied i'm wearing concealer, god. this is as natural as it gets.

it actually looks a lot darker here because i'm inside in the dark.
so i took a picture in the car this morning on the way to finn's doctors appointment so i could get a better picture of it in natural light.


then an old man honked at me.
not because he was checking me out.
but because i was taking a picture of myself while i was driving.
you reckless woman you!!! rarr!
i waved at him and he looked angry and confused.

it's not perfect. the roots are still a little brassy.  but i think i'm getting somewhere.
billy wanted me to go really dark but i was scared finn wouldn't recognize me.
i think this is good for now.  am i allowed to say i'm a natural blonde?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. LYLAS. ;)

Linds. said...

yay! it looks like my hair color! my hair is naturally a dark blond light brown too, so I feel ya. the $100 salon visits really start to add up, so when I'm closer to my natural color I don't have to go as often. I tried the box thing back in the day but i have weird red undertones in my hair and whenever i use box dyes, whether brown or blond, it comes out instead looking red-brown or red-blond. but not in a good way. so yeah, I'm digging this look...you're kinda favoring mandy now with the darker do. and i love the no make-up look on you, too (concealer doesn't count-you don't want to see me without it, trust). you've abandoned your bleach and eyeliner and you're reverting back to your high school hippie days. sweet. :)