What it's all about

Thursday, April 7, 2011

black thumb shame.

remember my stunning orchid that billy gave me for valentine's day?

boy was it pretty!


until i killed it.

here she is now!


womp womp.

maybe she's not really dead and the blooms are just dying?
i mean, the leaves are still kind of intact...
ooof.

then realized that the orchid is not the only houseplant currently suffering the wrath of my black thumb...

this one doesn't look so bad because i shoved a bunch of wooden stars in the pot to make it look more "full".  but then tuck chewed on some of the stars so it still looks pathetic.


sadness.

extreme sadness.

i thought about re-potting these guys and fertilizing them this week, but i was carrying finn around in a sling most of the time.  
"but you have your arms free!" you say...
well, let me just say that carrying your baby in a sling is not highly recommended if you are "a spiller".

i am a spiller.

most of the time finn has cookies or salad or cereal or cracker crumbs all over his face when he's in the sling.
because i'm a spiller and i drop food all over him.  
(apparently slinging your baby around makes you extra hungry)
he is tolerant of this. 

but i thought it would probably be bad if i was repotting plants and dropped a bunch of potting soil in his eyes.
i could just see him in preschool trying to explain his mysterious third eye... 
"oh yeah, my mom accidentally poured miracle grow on my forehead when i was a baby."

so i think i'll tackle MY plants this weekend when billy can hold finn at a safe distance from me.
instead, today, thursday, finn's four week birthday, my first day back at work,
i tackled the plants at the shop!

yes, my black thumb extends to my business as well.
look how beautiful these mums were!

 ouch.

actually, i didn't tackle them today at all.
luckily, the very lovely and very green thumbed rachel was working with me at the store.
 she has a little farm at home, and she brings us veggies and eggs!
i let her pick the plants out from the nursery next door, and she took charge of the replanting out front.
thank god!  those poor plants shivered at the sight of me.


i told her that i had brought some gardening tools from home for the replanting.
she laughed at my tiny little gardening spade.
and went next door and borrowed a shovel and proceeded to kick ass all over the flower bed.

tada!

much better.
now if only i could get her to come to my house and be my personal gardener.
sadly, i think i'm going to have to work on greening up my thumb myself.

but for now, at least the storefront is looking cheery!
thanks, rach!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

No no your orchid isn't dead! My sister gave me an orchid for mothers' day LAST YEAR, and I thought I killed it when it looked like yours. Like I seriously never watered it. But one leaf stayed on and was still green, and Lenny kept insisting it was alive. So I repotted it, watered it like once a week, and guess what? It's budding! One flower is about to open! Of course it's like a year later...kinda not worth thinking about it for that long!

Jean Isaac said...

I meant to tell you the front of the shop looked nice. Oh, and the orchid will come back.