What it's all about

Sunday, September 26, 2010

the schizophrenic spare bedroom.

i am having the hardest time with our front guest bedroom/ office.

at first it was super scary and looked like this:

 

then we cleaned it and it looked like a creepy dollhouse room like this:

 

then i moved things around and put a desk in there so i could use it as a home office as well, and started playing around with what i was going to put on the walls, and it looked like this:

 

so because there are tons of big blank walls in this room, and because huge art is expensive, i tried to get creative with wall hangings.  i ended up using a bunch of my pashminas and scarves, a big framed chalkboard, records, and lots of my jewelry, which i thought would look pretty because i have such pretty little urban outfitters jewelry display racks.

the result was that the room looked exactly like my college dorm room.  
minus the posters of cowboys.  but still, pretty close.

i still want to get a cool vintage dresser to put in here, and i think that will help, but today i really thought i had solved the problem.

i was hoping to find a really bohemian bedspread, to transform the colorful "dorm" looking room into a kind of intentional hippie chic.  billy and i were at one of our favorite antique stores when i spotted it!  a gorgeous red chenille bedspread with the faintest silver piping through it.  it was exactly what i wanted! and only $15!

i got it home, absolutely thrilled.  only to discover this result:

 

for some reason, with the lighting in this room, the bedspread looks hot PINK!

 

DEVASTATION!!!!

 

part of me wants to punch this room in the neck, and part of me.... secretly loves it.  i mean who doesn't love a room full of their favorite jewelry and records and hodge podge?  but seriously, it cannot be.  it looks like we have a 15 year old daughter who lives in this room.  it's all wrong!

darn you hot pink bedspread that was red in the store!  you were supposed to fix EVERYTHING!

i will continue to battle it out with my dorm room office spare bedroom.  

but now you know my plight. bah. 

4 comments:

Jean Isaac said...

Personally I like the dorm room! The spread doesn't look hot pink in the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is right - it really doesn't look hot pink. However, it's kind of turning into your dressing room ... which is kind of fabulous. ;)

P.S. Billy totally staged that picture of him "doing work." I know he did.

Michelle R said...

It doesn't look hot pink, but whatever you end up deciding on I'm sure will look great regardless...I love the framed chalkboard!

Stacey said...

Yea, I was going to say the same thing as them. I did not think it was pink in the picture at all!! I like it :)