What it's all about

Friday, September 13, 2013

Cole's Birth Story pt. 2

My doctor came in and proceeded to set up shop.  
I had no idea how involved the preparations were for a regular delivery, but basically they set up an entire water park from your waist down to the other end of the room. 
I swear there was a slip 'n slide.
I think I actually said "Is that a slip 'n slide?"  and she laughed and said "Well, things can get pretty messy!"  as she proceeded to hide her face behind a huge plastic shield.  I was really scared I was going to spontaneously combust and everyone in the room was going to be covered in placenta or something the way they were preparing for this thing.

Once my doctor was officially covered from head to toe in waterproof materials, she gave me the go ahead to start pushing.  By this time I was in epidural heaven and I had no idea when I was having a contraction.  The nurse looked at the monitor and let me know when to push for about 5 pushes, and then I could really feel pressure and just took over and pushed whenever I felt like it.  The whole time baby Cole looked great on the monitor (yay!)  I couldn't believe he was actually coming.  After about 15 or 20 minutes of pushing, out he came, just like that!

is he not the cleanest newborn baby you've ever seen? 
maybe it was all that nesting, but things were so tidy during delivery 
and the splash pad didn't see any action.  ha!


I was so proud of Billy, who not only didn't pass out, but also pushed probably just as hard as I did (I told him it wasn't necessary but he couldn't stop) and managed to cut the cord!  Yay Daddy!

I was so proud of my body for cooperating and being strong and pushing out this amazing little person.  My doctor gave me a very small episiotomy that only needed a few stitches, but otherwise I had no trauma.  Which is really kind of unbelievable to me, I mean aren't our bodies just amazing?  What a miracle birth is.

And I was so proud of this new little boy.  He just behaved himself and cooperated so well during my labor.  When Dr. Coldren caught him, she picked him up and cradled him in her arms, and he looked around for a minute, and then closed his eyes and snuggled up to her.  It took a couple good smacks to get a cry out of him.  He was, and still is, the most content little guy. 

The doctor was right about his head being so low when she was trying to break my water, too.  He has two little scratches right on the crown of his head from both attempts.  Bless his little heart.



We didn't have a name for him until much later in the afternoon. 
Originally Jack, Cole, and Declan were top on our list.  But when we saw him we almost named him Tagg.  His face changed so much in the first few hours that we just couldn't decide.  Eventually we settled on Cole Wyeth Murphy.  And the blog post to follow will explain why :)

We had a wonderful time and experience at the hospital.  It was so much less emotional and traumatic and suspenseful than Finn's birth.  Everything was so easy it seemed unfair.  It still does.  And for that reason, I just have to say that c-section moms just don't get enough credit.  It is was so much more physically challenging for me to have a c-section than a regular delivery.  My biggest complaint this go round was puffy eyes the next day from pushing so hard.  Big props to all of my friends and family who wished me a fast, easy, safe delivery.  Because I had just that.  From my first real contraction until he got here at 5:14 a.m., my labor only lasted 4 hours. 

If you had a scary or challenging first delivery, take heart that things do get better with subsequent pregnancies.  I really felt like my body knew what it was doing this time around.  Except for the whole "going into labor" thing.  Still needed a hand with that one.

Cole's first bath.  He weighed in at 7lbs 12 oz and 20 3/4 inches long.  
Finn was born two weeks later than Cole at 8lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long.  
I'm pretty sure if we had let Cole cook as long, he would have been a nine pounder.  
He is a big healthy boy!


Headed to our room in the maternity suite shortly after delivery.

 Puffy eye happiness.

 Enjoying our stay at the hospital.
It's the most expensive hotel stay around, 
but they bring you percocets and watch your baby while you sleep.
worth it.


Cole baby.

Finn came to see us that afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa.  He did well, just as I expected.  
Anyone who knows Finn knows that he is not the most outwardly affectionate person around.  I know he feels big feelings, he just doesn't always show them.  I didn't expect him to show any interest in the new baby, and he didn't, but he was very happy to see Billy and I and we caught him watching the baby whenever he thought no one was looking.  I have no doubt that he knows exactly what's going on, and he's really been doing a good job rolling with everything.  I was worried he might not be so gentle "get that thing out of your arms, mom"- but he has been very gentle and sweet.  We've logged a few baby pats. 
Cole's really going to grow on him.


I cried when we left the hospital.  It's amazing how quickly it all happens and is over.  What a blessing my pregnancy and delivery with Cole was.   I feel so fortunate that I was able to have a totally different experience this go round.  Both Finn and Cole's birth were so special to me and taught me so much.  

I'm especially grateful for my doctor this time, who really helped me feel empowered and capable throughout my whole pregnancy, and who listened to me.  She trusted me when my gut said that breaking my water would send me into labor, and she made it happen.  After Cole was born she told me, "You were right!  This was exactly the right thing to do, you knew it, and you did it!"  I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  

But right now, being home with our two boys feels just right. :)


Links to Finn's birth story Part One and Part Two. 

3 comments:

JFKrumenacker said...

yay meg!

Carly said...

What a great birth story! Around here moms have to fight to get the v-bac and there are only 1 or 2 doctors in town that will even consider doing it. Glad that you have such progressive doctors and such a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this makes me so happy! What a wonderful birth experience. :) You rock, mama!