What it's all about

Monday, March 14, 2011

my labor and delivery story part two

they pushed me down the hall right away into the operating room.  about a zillion doctors introduced themselves to me.  everyone was doing a million things at once.  shoving a cap on my head, putting a sheet over me, telling me a million things i don't remember.

the anesthesiologist gave me more epidural so i wouldn't feel anything, and it made me super out of it.  i don't know if she gave me something else too, but i felt like my head was full of cotton and i literally couldn't keep my eyes open.  it was an awful feeling, being so out of it.  i couldn't really talk because i felt like my lips and tongue weighed a million pounds.

and then the next thing i knew billy was next to me dressed in a weird paper suit, and they were cutting me open.

i felt all of this pushing and tugging and gurgling, it was gross.
i remember someone saying "this is it" or "here he is" or something like that, but then there was nothing.
there was no cry.
i remember billy saying "he's here" and kind of anxiously looking over at a baby table that i couldn't see, and then a bunch of people said "he's big!"
all of this time passed and i never heard anything.
i didn't really feel anything but tiredness.


the surgeon started talking about my ovaries and my bird tattoo and kind of chit chatting but i still never heard my baby.  i didn't know what was going on.
i think billy was scared to go look at him.  he stayed right by my side.
then after an eternity, finn let out two really short, weak wails.  and that was it.


billy went over to see him after that, and he said he was really alert and looking around really peacefully.

billy and finn were immediately smitten with one another.  billy held him in his arms right next to my head while they finished my surgery.  they just stared at each other in awe.  it was really cute.  i was still so out of it, but i remember being so glad that billy could hold him when i couldn't.


the midwife said it was a really good thing we had the c-section because his head was really big and there's no way i would have gotten it out without some major trauma.  his head was all squished and bruised and lumpy from trying to contort through my pelvis during the 30 minutes of pushing that i did do.  he definitely had a rough go of it.

in the recovery room things got a lot better.  the medicine wore off a little bit and i felt a lot less loopy.  billy came in to see me with finn and he was doing SO much better.  he was really alert and looking around, and i was able to feed him right away.



after some special bonding time together, billy took finn to the newborn nursery for his bath and so he could get warmed up and observed a little bit.  he did really well in there and everyone tells me that all the baby visitors were commenting on how handsome he was.  

once i could move my legs and felt okay, they took me up to my room on the maternity ward and billy brought finn in to see me.  our parents and aunt mandy came in and all took turns holding him for the first time.  i loved seeing everyone get to finally meet and bond with my little guy.


but getting to finally meet him myself was my favorite part.

it was worth the whole ten months of pregnancy,
the whole crazy, unplanned and unnatural labor.

and i would do it all again in a second.

he's perfect.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't believe I have ever seen you looking more radiant than you do in the picture above with you feeding Finn! You are glowing!! Love and hugs!

Unknown said...

Wow Meg,
Thank you for sharing your story. Labor is one thing I'm really anxious about! I know there can be so many variables but just like your story shows, the outcome of a health baby is what's most important!! We continue to pray for you all and your continued recovery.

Blessings,
Kim MacIntire

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ande - you do look radiant. :) Mamahood is treating you well, sweet friend. Love to all of you!

CarLeeKen said...

Meg, I had tears in my eyes as I finished reading this. The last pic is so moving and I can so relate to the "doing it all over agin in a minute" - these gifts of life to us are so worth it - I can still say this even after being a momma for 30 years! Hugs and prayers for quick healing. Car

Jean Isaac said...

Meg the pictures are awesome. Finn is so adorable; and i miss him so much. You and Billy are beaming. I love you all. Grandma

Anonymous said...

Meg, I only get on here to read your blog once and a blue moon. You made me cry so I had to comment. Congrats to you Mamas! He's beautiful. -Stephanie Carroll