What it's all about

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

mama thoughts.

finn is at a really cool age right now.
billy told me the other night that so far this is his favorite.
he really is fun.
but all parts have been my favorite. especially teeny tiny baby part, when all we did was snuggle.

he is so interactive and funny. he laughs and sings and talks, it's so cute.
since he's getting so good at rolling over and holding his head up, lately when he wakes up from naps he pulls these stunts where he is awake and it seems like he's trying to like be really quiet and do stuff without me knowing that he's awake.

for example, yesterday i thought he was napping and walked in his room to put something away and found him laying on his back (he sleeps on his tummy) whispering to the owl on his mobile.  it was so funny!  he was completely content.

then today i put him to sleep on his little quilt on the family room floor and went upstairs to do some cleaning.  i kept listening for him but didn't hear anything.  when i came back downstairs he was under the coffee table!  i don't know how he got under there.  he does this little army crawl/worm wiggle thing.  when he discovered i had found him he just looked up at me and laughed.  he looked all proud like he had discovered a whole new territory.

he is doing well with eating... i did start mixing his rice cereal with applesauce to sweeten it (thanks michelle!) and he loves it.  he also likes bananas.  i only feed him three times a day and sometimes he only eats a few spoonfuls, but even with a little bit of feedings he seems to be nursing less during the day.  so i'm kind of taking it really slow because i don't want him to slack off on nursing during the day and then be up all night wanting to nurse.

i feel like i am really settling in to this whole mamahood thing.  i really think it took a solid three months for me to feel really comfortable and relaxed.  so the past month has been really enjoyable. 

it's not without a price though. 

i feel like i can't wear a lot of my old clothes, not because they don't fit, but because i feel like they're not "mom-appropriate".  i don't feel as comfortable gallivanting around in my daisy dukes that's for sure.  let me just say that having a baby on your hip can turn jean shorts from "kinda cute" to "white trash" in two seconds flat. and let's not even talk about finding tops with my wonk boobs. bleh. 

for the first time in my life i also feel constantly a little bit behind on the housework, which i don't like, and i don't always have dinner on the table when billy gets home. 

in short, i am now sympathetic to the misfortune that is "mom jeans" and also understand why my mother made so many casseroles when i was little.  i also understand how easy it is to not do your hair and put on makeup, things i always always did, and therefore "get" why on home videos of christmas morning mandy and i always looked like china dolls and if mom accidentally panned the camera across a mirror she literally screamed.

speaking of christmas, is anyone excited for christmas already? i am. know why? because it's 80 bazillion degrees in here. and i'm making billy and finn wear matching pajamas. i digress.

finn is cool, being a mom feels good, and i'll stop wearing jean shorts.
now to start on that chicken casserole for dinner...
the end.

oh wait, did anyone read this post at young house love? let me just say that i am impressed.  i hope i can breastfeed finn for 14 months.  but i am also glad that he doesn't eat every two hours and that he'll take a bottle. sheez, that woman deserves a medal!

ok really the end! xo

2 comments:

Michelle R said...

Glad he like the cereal concoction! Finn sounds like such a sweet baby...and full of adventurous spirit, too?! Totally understand the wardrobe thing--I'm always second-guessing myself when it comes to choosing what to wear. Sometimes I feel like I have a "MOM" label on my forehead, even when I'm out without the kids. But, yeah, pretty sure you can pull it all off still:) Glad to hear you're hitting your mama "groove"!

JN said...

You know I read the YHL post. ;-) I'm glad you're having such a great time. Finn is so cute, what a handsome little guy he is. I can see both you and Billy in him and I think that's so neat. And, you can totally still rock jean shorts.