What it's all about

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Early Intervention, Day 1!

Thanks so much to everyone who read my blog about Finn yesterday and took the time to send us some love.  It was hard to write, and Billy and I thought about it a long time before we hit "publish".  It ended up being a huge relief.  So many people reached out to us with the most kind and encouraging words, and with so much love and tenderness for our Finn.  It really means the world to us.  Thank you, from the bottom of all of our hearts.

I'll keep this recap of our first experience with Early Intervention brief. 
In one word, it was surprising. 

For some reason I had it in my mind that when the developmental teacher said she was coming over to "play" that there were going to be lots of laughs and games and Finn would miraculously emerge with a new skill and a grin on his face.  That did not happen.  Billy and I realized pretty quickly that Early Intervention is WORK.  Work for us, and work for Finn.  It was not easy, and it was not fun.  Not yet, anyhow.  I feel as though it may be akin to breaking a horse. 

Maybe calling my 17 month old a horse is offensive, but I feel the analogy is accurate.  Especially considering our sweet, good natured, tantrum free little boy responded by literally bucking like a bronco when I tried the very first of his teacher's gentle suggestions.  I swear to you, he knew exactly what was going on.  He seemed to be listening quietly but defiantly to everything she said, and then he turned and gave me this dead on "ohhh helll no" face.  It went downhill from there. 

We have a few basic things to work on this week.  The main thing is hand over hand.  Taking Finn's hand and making him point to a picture in his book.  Helping Finn's hand hold his brush and brush his hair.  Helping Finn's hand hold his spoon and feed himself.  I am telling you, he wants no part of it.  He literally would not eat his applesauce tonight unless I fed him myself.  He could secretly be a very lazy genius. 

Seeing his exaggerated defiance at the slightest of change was so shocking that it was funny.  Our teacher let us know that she wants Finn to get a little frustrated, so that he learns he has to give something to get something.  We previously have avoided his frustration at all costs and line up his day so that he gets everything he needs in a timely manner without having to ask for a darn thing.  Turns out we may have been creating a monster.  I think this monster exists in any spoiled toddler, regardless of developmental delays!  We all had a rude awakening.  I'm sure tomorrow's visit with his speech therapist will be quite interesting.

Despite the Murphy temper showdown, we are confident that this is really going to work for Finn and that he really is going to make big strides in this program.  More than anything, we're grateful for the league of cheerleaders he has in his corner. 

Lots of love from the fighting Irish.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan. I love reading your posts and am in awe of your honesty. I work with a lot of kids on the autism spectrum and with developmental delays and other special needs and they are amazing kids. They can make HUGE progress in a short amount of time with the right help and intervention. I know Finn is going to be just fine. He has an amazing, loving mom and a grandma who knows how to spoil any child silly. I will say that some teachers are better matches with some children than others. If you find you're not working well with this person, don't give up. Another may be better for your family. I'm praying for your family. Donna Word

Unknown said...

Yay Megan! It all sounds so familiar!I remember planning my entire day around avoiding meltdowns and situations that would make my little one unhappy-okay, so I'm definitely a caterer/enabler. The OT was so "harsh":)in my mind.I sure did learn alot about parenting any kid in those sessions. I remember after 3 months they wanted her to go to this special preschool where she would be pushed outside her comfort zone all day-I almost sent her but caved at the last minute when your mom called with an opening at fcs. Hang in there and keep smiling!

PamRose said...

Wow, what a day you all had. Even tho this is only the first step, I applaud all of your bravery. I am so proud to see you that you are not the "NOT MY CHILD" type parents. I also very proud of Finnster for being the little man he is. Megan , you are so brave for inviting us along on this journey. It will be hard work, but you all can do it!!!!
And thank you, this is important to know and important for you to speak/type about it.
I love you all very much xoxoxoxoxo

Jean Isaac said...

First off, thanks Donna and Tammy for your support of Meg, Billy and Finn, and thank you especially for your prayers.
So Meg, the real Finn showed up! lol I love that boy so much, even if he is a bucking bronco. I also love reading your blogs, even though I hear it from you directly, it's great to read it. Can't wait to hear about today. Love you Meem

Linds. said...

Sweet Meg! I love you and Billy-more than I thought possible-because of how selfless and understanding and awesome you both are. I know I'm not there with you to see the struggle, but I'm sure you're handling things with more grace than anyone else ever could. You guys have been on my mind a lot lately, and I just wanted you to know that no matter what the case ends up being with Finn, he is lucky to have such a beautiful and caring mom to help him get through the tough times. I'm sure this is just a speed bump in Finn's otherwise lovely little life; I wish the best of luck to him in this new program. Keep us updated, and don't hesitate to let me or Steve know if you need anything at all. Love always!