What it's all about

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

the world is coming to an end.

i'm just going to get straight to the point.

i bought a one piece swimsuit.

i'll pause and allow you to collect yourself and clean up that coffee you just spewed all over your computer.

better? alright.

so you're probably thinking one of two things.

one-
wow, one piece bathing suit, eh? meg really let herself go.  surrendered to the mom frump.  threw in the towel.  buh bye bikini babe.  poor billy. 
or,
two-
meg is so skinny, why would she buy a one piece bathing suit?  she could totally still wear a two piece! (thank you number two people).

okay, so here's how my train of thought went before the big purchase.

i keep seeing one piece bathing suits EVERYWHERE this season.  i mean everywhere.  they are so en vogue!  and i really felt like trying something stylish and new.  i knew in the back of my mind that billy would yell at me and tell me i was dressing like a mennonite (he says this every time i wear a turtleneck... but they're so warm!), but i just couldn't help myself.  

aside from fashion purposes, of course i had to think of the practicality.  anyone who comes to the beach at figure 8 knows that we're always eating.  and drinking.  always.  once you think you can't possibly fit another beer in your belly, skippop force feeds you a cheeseburger.  so there's the constant battle of sucking it in while sucking it in.

then there's the baby factor, and since finn is so mobile now i knew that my summer beach time would not just be spent laying out, but also include lots of bending down and leaning over to attend to him.  even skinny girls get those tummy rolls when they're hunched over to pick up a toddler, mmkay?

i've also been feeling conflicted about being a mom now and wearing my same little bikinis, like maybe i'm trying too hard or look trashy or i just need to grow up a little?  i don't know, i think this is my own personal torment. 

so the verdict was in.  i was going to order a one piece bathing suit.  i found one that i really liked on jcrew.com.  it was a risk.  i was either going to look cute or completely disfigured.  i ordered it and then immediately facebooked my friend steph for moral support. ("please tell me i haven't given up!") she agreed that it was a cute choice and that she might also be in the market for a one piece (gasp!)

it came in the mail yesterday and i put it on in a dark corner when billy got home like he was going to throw paint at me as soon as he saw it or something.  i was pretty skeptical, but once i got it on i really liked it!  it's like a romper bathing suit.  my vote is fashionable, cute, and classy.  not giving up.

to my complete and utter shock, billy really liked it too!  yess!




so it's official, i've gone to the dark side.  :)

(here's the link to the swimsuit)

XO

6 comments:

Jean Isaac said...

You could wear anything and still look like you're in a runway lineup. Rock it!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, that bathing suit is ADORABLE! Also, you are one brave soul for posting a pic of yourself in a bathing suit. ;) I did that last summer and almost threw up from the nausea I had before hitting "publish." You're beautiful, mama!

JFKrumenacker said...

You're like the tiniest thing I've ever seen. It's a great suit, too!

Josh and Liz McElroy said...

Meg, you look like the models in the catalog, just minus a foot!! Love it!!

Taylor said...

Adorable! Totally love it. I went through the same everything you said when I was pregnant...except it was just that I felt weird pregnant in a bikini! Then I tried last summer to go back to the bikini and well, let's just say I learned the hard way that bikinis do NOT stay in place when you are chasing a little one!

Side note...I simply love the vintage-y look of the one pieces this year and last. I've had my eye out on ebay for a TRUE vintage suit, but can never find one small enough. I think it would be so cute to have a real vintage one, except maybe a little weird to wear a suit someone else has worn!

Kayla said...

I buy my tshirts based on suck-in principle. XD